CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

California's Proposition 8 - A few thoughts


As I’m from Idaho and currently reside in Utah, I know I don’t really have a say in what California does with their constitution, but the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives me the right to say what I want to, so here goes. =D

Ever since I began hearing about Prop. 8, I’ve had the niggling little thought that I’d heard this before. Where you ask???? In my U.S. History classes… Yes that’s right, it sounded familiar because we’ve all heard these arguments before! In 1896 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of “separate but equal” when they ruled that racial segregation was acceptable, in Plessy v. Ferguson. When we studied the court’s decision to overturn that archaic law in 1954 with their decision on Brown v. Board of Education, did we not think with pride of how far we had come since that distant past? When it comes right down to it, denying marriage to people in same sex relationships is nothing more than another attempt at separate but equal. In fact, many of the exact arguments used against desegregation, especially when it came to interracial marriage, have been resurrected in the rhetoric concerning Prop. 8. For instance, on January 6, 1959, Trial Court Justice Leon Bazile, while he was hearing the case against Mildred and Perry Loving, said, “Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, Malay and red, and He placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with His arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that He separated the races shows that He did not intend for the races to mix.” This argument, minus the racial specifics, is one of the keystones of the supporters of Prop. 8. It’s the argument that God never intended such unions, that they are unnatural and an abomination in his eyes, and as such, we need to prevent them. Ultimately, the Supreme Court ruled that these types of laws violated our 14th Amendment right to Equal Protection, and deemed the laws unconstitutional when they handed down their decision in Loving v. Virginia (1967). They said, “Marriage is one of the ‘basic civil rights of man.’” and that denying marriage based on the “classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.”


While I don’t plan on picking apart every minute detail of every argument in favor or against Prop. 8, I believe it’s worth mentioning a couple of gross misstatements. The first is about what will happen in California’s schools if the proposition fails. There are arguments that if California’s constitution isn’t amended to specify that the traditional definition of marriage is the only marriage recognized, that children will be forced to learn about same sex marriage at school regardless of their parents wishes. This isn’t true. Under the California Education Code, public schools are under “local control” when it comes to what is taught in their schools. One of the locally-decided curriculum choices is whether or not to teach sex education (Cal. Ed. Code 51933). If the local school district decides to teach sex education, then the “instruction and materials shall teach respect for marriage and committed relationships” (Cal Ed. Code 51933(a)(7)). IF a local district decides to teach sex ed, a “parent or guardian of a pupil has the right to excuse their child from all or part of comprehensive sexual health education” (Cal Ed. code 51938).


The final argument I’ll address is that because domestic partnerships are recognized in California, marriage becomes unnecessary. What they overlook is the uncertainty surrounding the term domestic partnerships. During emergency situations, especially, the domestic partner may not be recognized immediately by those handling the situation as family and someone who is able to make decisions on behalf of the other partner when that partner can’t make the decision themselves.


We could talk for days about the religious and cultural aspects of Prop. 8, but what it really comes down to is this is not as much about gay rights as civil rights and human rights. It comes down to the fact that we would be advocating another type of segregation. We would be advocating it so adamantly, that we would be willing to amend the constitution, the very skeleton of California’s government, to add our discriminatory language specifically to deprive other citizens of their constitutionally guaranteed equal protection under the law. We’ve learned the lessons of history and we have come further than that.

“It is often easier to become outraged by injustice half a world away than by oppression and discrimination half a block from home.” – Carl T. Rowan

Please keep your comments polite. As Rowena, from Rowena’s Rants, says, “I have no compunction against deleting rude comments at my own hyper-sensitive discretion.” Thanks!

5 comments:

Michael Ash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Ash said...

Holly,

You deleted my post damn it.

Regards,
Mike

Hamers said...

Holly we think your argument is intelligent, well thought out, and written well. Good job!
Now for my opinion.......
I am almost positive that when the California constitution was written it was never intended to legalize same-sex marriage. It was written to give everyone equal rights which same sex couples do already get in a civil union. Men and women are different so a marriage between a man and woman as it was defined in the beginning is different than a union between same sex couples. I really don't think the argument that race and sex are the same is a valid one, although it does at least make you think. If that were a valid argument than Polygamy should be legal as well. Should we discriminate against polygamists like we did the blacks earlier? The answer is yes. Things can't always be equal if they are not the same thing-just like a same-sex couple is not and will never be the same thing as a traditional marriage. It is apples and oranges. Marriage for man and woman. Civil Union for gay couples. Everyone gets their rights. Nobody's rights are being taken away.
The fact of the matter is that if same-sex marriage is a constitutional right than it infringes on those parties who believe that it is wrong. There are many and it is not fair that a religion or organization should have to change their whole belief system to cater to a few. In Massachusetts the Catholic church no longer adopts children to anyone because of the lawsuits that came up because they believed that a family should consist of a man and woman as parents. They lost their right to adopt because they wouldn't buckle on their values.
The overturning of prop 22 forces people to give up their values in the name of the law.
Besides, prop 22 won by a 61% majority but was overruled 4 to 3 by the California supreme court. When the people have spoken, how can 4 judges just disregard them?
Besides this, I know politics scarcely allows religion to exist as a reasonable motive for decision-making, but if I don't let my personal beliefs influence my political standings, then I could never live with myself.

Also, I wanted to see what Mike had to say...

Hamers said...

Holy cow, I just read through that last comment I made and I really should have proofread before sending!

Jen said...

First, thanks for quoting me. My ego will be bloated for days.

I have way more than two cents to say about this subject, as it sounds like you might be aware. I'll try not to blather on forever.

I agree that the media campaign was done poorly and used scare tactics. I think a lot of these campaigns feel that their end justifies their means, and I don't think that's right.

I do think it is important for a school to teach the principle acceptance, but I don't think acceptance of any specific lifestyle should be taught, whether that be homosexual, cultural, religious, etc. It would be just as wrong to say "Accept her because she's Mormon" as to say, "Accept her because she has two mommies." Just say "Accept her because she is human and a good person."

And to your second point that in an emergency they aren't recognized, I think as they become more common that will not be an issue.

I don't think this is the same as racial segregation (which is absolutely a violation of human rights) because the government discriminates all the time based on age, gender, income, etc. (CHIPS, for example, covers women and children only.) Homosexuals have a different union from heterosexuals. (Not better, not worse. Different.) Men are different from women. Men and women together can produce children. Part of the social contract of marriage (as I view it) involves propagating our species to ensure our survival. While some heterosexuals do not choose to have kids and some homosexuals choose to adopt, there is still that fundamental difference. I don't see it as as bigoted to differentiate.

I would prefer if my church would not be liable because it refused to allow marriage to some humans and not to others. I would also prefer if church sponsored schools would not be liable to provide "married" student housing for some humans and not for others. That's where I think the conflict between human rights and religious freedom come in. Because our society grants rights such as tax status, etc., based on coupled v. uncoupled lifestyle, we do have to recognize and respect unions other than marriage. But I don't think we have to call those unions "marriages."

I'd love to hear if you have more to say, but I'm about commented out on this issue after the last few weeks so I probably won't say more.

Okay, that was more like 50 cents. Sorry! Thanks for commenting on my blog!