CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Monstrosities and Philosophies


When I was in college, Lacey, my college roommate and still BFF, and I bought a “Grow Your Own Triops” kit. After our impulsive museum purchase, we decided that we were too chicken-esque to actually grow the little monstrosities. I mean, seriously. What if they escaped and decided to ambush us in our sleep?

As fate would have it, Triops came back into my life this past week. Breanne, London, Aaron and I went to The Living Planet Aquarium last weekend, and had a ball learning about all sorts of aquatic life and conservation. Afterward, we hit the gift shop, where after much deliberation, the kids decided the best purchase for their budgetary parameters would be a Triops kit, identical to the one Lacey and I bought. Much to my admiration, Breanne began the Triops growing process almost as soon as we got back to their house, and the next day the Triops were happily swimming away and cannibalizing each other. They killed each other off until there was just one left in the bowl. Talk about an intimate encounter with the whole “survival of the fittest” concept. Currently the single Triop is about an inch long and not quite as menacing as the attacking Triops I had imagined, yet he is kind of gross, and I am content in having my Triops experience vicariously. After all, a girl can’t be too careful…

One other thing I wanted to mention, for those of you who liked the movie version of “Rent,” the film of the very last live performance on Broadway was just released on DVD. It is awesome and completely worth renting…pun intended.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Just remember "When Bunny's Attack!"